Nebulo is a free, open-source, non-root and small sized DNS changer for Android utilizing dns-over-https and dns-over-tls to bring privacy and security to your phone.
It is fast, contains no ads or tracking and offers a lot of flexibility.
Look below for [installation instructions](#installation).
# My mission
My mission is to provide access to dns-over-tls and dns-over-https as a tool against censorship and tracking. Many countries block controversial or government-critical websites using DNS which can possibly be circumvented using either of those protocols.
The second topic, tracking, is nearly as important as the topic of censorship. Many ISPs use their own DNS servers as a way of tracking their users. Using DoH/DoT puts an end to this by encrypting your dns queries.
# How it works
Nebulo uses the VPN API of the Android system to create a dummy VPN which intercepts all packets for the dns servers of your device. This dummy VPN is __not__ a real VPN and does not tunnel your packets - it only handles dns packets. As only one VPN can be activate at any given time you have to decice between using Nebulo or a real VPN.
## Non-VPN mode
Look in the [FAQ](FAQ.md).
## What this is based on
Nebulo is a completely original piece of software. It doesn't use any other dependency under the hood for the dns capabilities. Check the [dependencies](https://git.frostnerd.com/PublicAndroidApps/smokescreen/blob/master/app/build.gradle#L100) to see what is used for everything build around DoH/DoT.
## Incompatibilities, compatibilities and possible problems
- As mentioned no other VPN can be active when Nebulo is running (at least when not running in Non-VPN mode mentioned above)
- Nebulo works fine with non-VPN firewalls in place (such as AFWall+), but changes in firewall profiles [could break the VPN](https://git.frostnerd.com/PublicAndroidApps/smokescreen/issues/84), requiring a restart of Nebulo.
- Other means of ad-blocking, like modifying the `/etc/hosts` file or the `AdAway` app go hand in hand with Nebulo as well.
- The AdGuard app might cause Nebulo not to receive DNS queries
## Core features
The app consists of a few core features:
* Dns forwarding using dns-over-https and dns-over-tls
* A customizable in-memory DNS cache
* You can configure minimum caching time and default caching times
* A list of servers with a lot of default entries
* You can add your own servers as well
* A DNS speed test
* Query logging
* DNS rules, where you can specify your own IP addresses for hosts
* Rules can be imported from files and URLs (supports 4 different formats)
* You can block hosts by using 0.0.0.0 and ::1 as targets (If you check the box "Block this host" those targets are automatically used. You don't have to do anything else.)
* The DNS rules prevent CNAME cloaking
* Highly customizable settings
* Disable IPv4/IPv6
* Allow captive portals
* Allow search domains on the current network
* ... And more
For a growing collection of frequenty asked questions (FAQ), take a look [here](FAQ.md).
# Help wanted
Translations are important to reach as broad of an audience as possible and for non-english speakers to be able to use the app to it's full extent.
Head over to the [translation guide](TRANSLATING.md) to see how you can help!
The app is distributed over the play store, a custom F-Droid repo and as an .apk file.
## Play store
Go to the [play store](https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frostnerd.smokescreen) to download the app.
1. Add the repository on your F-Droid app by clicking [this link](https://fdroid.frostnerd.com/fdroid/repo?fingerprint=74BB580F263EC89E15C207298DEC861B5069517550FE0F1D852F16FA611D2D26).
- Or add it yourself, fdroid.frostnerd.com/fdroid with fingerprint 74BB580F263EC89E15C207298DEC861B5069517550FE0F1D852F16FA611D2D26
- You can use the [QR-Code as well](material/fdroid_qr.jpg) .
- I recommend using [Aurora Droid](https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS/auroradroid) , it contains the repository by default
2. (Optional, for older versions of Nebulo) Add the F-Droid archive by clicking [this link](https://fdroidarchive.frostnerd.com/?fingerprint=74BB580F263EC89E15C207298DEC861B5069517550FE0F1D852F16FA611D2D26).
- Or add it yourself, fdroidarchive.frostnerd.com with fingerprint 74BB580F263EC89E15C207298DEC861B5069517550FE0F1D852F16FA611D2D26
3. Update your repositories (by pulling down to refresh)
4. Search for Nebulo
5. Download the app.
6. Don't forget to check for updates sometimes.
The file is distributed as .apk file in two places:
- In the [telegram group](https://nebulo.app/community)
- In the automated build system (CI) here in GitLab. [Click here](https://git.frostnerd.com/PublicAndroidApps/smokescreen/-/jobs/artifacts/master/raw/app/build/outputs/apk/normal/release/app-normal-release.apk?job=build_release) to download the latest signed build.
- The latest signed build isn't always the current release, keep in mind that those are merely signed development builds.
Want to be always up-to-date on the development of this app? Looking for a way to contact the developer?
Join our [Telegram group](https://nebulo.app/community)!
(Alternatively [the channel](https://nebulo.app/updateChannel) , which contains only updates and nothing else)